Thursday, July 21, 2011

First Comic - Prep & Ramble

Yesterday, I finished inking my first comic. It's just a little one and it's terribly moody and light on text, but it's something!

I based it on a short story I'd written a few years ago. That story was part of a much bigger thing that I had a very clear idea of. I knew what all the characters looked like, and still do, and knew the story well after going over each section so much. Seemed as good an idea to start with as any. I hope it's easy to follow without much text. It's mostly the one character and I didn't want thoughts scattered throughout the panels so I went for the less is more approach..

And next time I'm going back to pens and markers. I've just been trying out ink and brush, that's how I did this, and it is good and has its merits but not as clean as I'd hoped. But cleaner than I'd expected. Luckily I had some good Letraset paper - which I got months ago for a really good price - so the heavier ink didn't wreck the page.

Anyhow, I've been offline for a few days now so I feel a ramble coming on. Before that happens I'll end this with some of the prep work and WIP pages. I was trying to find a good way to upload and present the comic, so I'll see how I do that.

*Click to enlarge





No comments:

Post a Comment